What our players have to say
I used to run half marathons, but after an injury I gained 40 lbs., and I'd been unmotivated since. My sister-in-law told me about StepBet, and I'm so much more motivated now! This has been great for me.
Because of an injury, I went from 4-5 miles a day to doing basically nothing. Thanks to StepBet I’ve slowly increased my activity, and am now back to where I used to be.
StepBet provides instant feedback. You know exactly where you stand at all times and what you need to be successful, one day at a time.
What is StepBet?
StepBet is a fitness game that motivates you to be more active. Players “bet” on themselves to meet their personalized step goals during every week of the game, and win money if they do. The cash prize, accountability, and community support help you build a more active lifestyle.
How do I win money?
If you hit your personalized step goals for the entire game, you split the pot with the other winners. That means you get your bet back plus a profit.
How much do I have to bet?
Bet amount can vary from game to game, but most bets are $40. Generally, we don't have free games, because having money on the line is an important and powerful motivator.
How long is the game?
Most games are six weeks long, though duration can vary from game to game. Note that in most games, the first week is a “warm-up week” where no one becomes disqualified.
How do you play?
First, get your personalized step goals. You'll be prompted to select your source of steps, and StepBet will look at your historic step data to calculate your goals.
Next, place your bet to join the game.
Then, step up your steps! During each week of your game, you must hit a certain number of Active and Power days each week. Miss your weekly goal, and you’re out of the running to win. Hit your goals each week, and you split the pot with the other winners!
How are my Active and Power goals calculated?
After you connect your activity tracker, we’ll use your step history to calculate personalized Active and Power goals that are manageable but challenging for your level. In some versions of the game, goals may incrementally increase week after week.
If I’ve already hit all my Power Days for the week and then get another Power Day, will it count as an Active Day?
Yes. If you have made all your Power Days for the week and still have Active Days to hit, additional Power Days will count toward your Active Days.
How do you prevent cheating?
We have a zero tolerance policy for cheating. Any players found to be cheating or falsifying steps will be immediately removed from their game. StepBet connects directly to your activity tracker to get valid step counts each day. We actively monitor players’ steps and flag any suspicious behavior. Players may be asked to provide additional data from their phone or tracking device if they are flagged.
What activity trackers work with StepBet, and how do I connect mine?
StepBet currently supports the following activity trackers:
- Garmin Trackers
- iPhone Apple Health via phone
- iPhone Apple Watch
- iPhone Fitbit
- Android Fitbit
- Android S Health, including phone and S Gear steps
- Android Google Fit via phone
Currently, the only wearable devices that are supported are Apple Watch, S Gear, Garmin, and Fitbit. If you are using Apple Health, Google Fit, or S Health, your steps must be tracked by carrying your phone with you.
The StepBet app will walk you through the process for connecting your preferred activity tracker.
What if my activity tracker doesn’t capture my steps one day?
StepBet uses the step count in your selected activity tracker as the authoritative source of your steps. It is your responsibility to keep your tracker on you, charged, and in good condition during the game. We cannot reverse disqualifications that result from your tracker being lost, out of battery, or broken.
What if the steps in my tracker and StepBet don’t match?
We know technology doesn’t work perfectly all the time. If a technical problem causes StepBet’s step count not to match with the steps in your activity tracker, our Referees will work with you to resolve the issue. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details of the error.
If you’re using a Fitbit, there are also some steps you can take on your own to resolve the issue, outlined below.
Why don’t my Fitbit and StepBet steps match?
In order for StepBet to get your Fitbit steps, you must sync your Fitbit regularly. All of your steps each week must be synced within 24 hours of the week ending, otherwise they will not be counted in the game. If you are having problems, try these steps:
First, open your Fitbit app on your phone and make sure it has synced with your Fitbit. If it hasn’t, please see this Fitbit help page.
If your Fitbit has synced with your Fitbit app, go to https://www.fitbit.com/activities from your desktop computer and check that the step count there matches the step count in your Fitbit app. If they do not, visit the Fitbit help page above.
If both of the above are working properly, go to https://www.fitbit.com/user/profile/apps and make sure StepBet has access. If StepBet is not listed, open the StepBet app, log in, and in the upper left menu, tap Settings → Steps Source → Change My Connection → Fitbit.
StepBet only counts steps tracked by the Fitbit activity tracker. Steps added with Fitbit’s “Track Your Exercise” or “MobileRun” features do not count toward your StepBet. This is the same policy that Fitbit uses in its challenges.
To ensure that this discrepancy doesn't interfere with your StepBet game, best practice would be to check your StepBet app towards the end of each day to ensure you have hit your goal.
If none of the actions above solve the problem, please contact email@example.com.
What do I do if I’m using Apple Health and am having trouble connecting to StepBet?
If you have previously denied StepBet access to Apple Health, or accidentally hit “Done” without turning on your read permission, you will need to go to the Apple Health app to enable access. Here’s how:
Open your Health app, tap “Sources” in the bottom menu, and then tap on the StepBet app.
Toggle the switches to allow StepBet to read step data from Apple Health.
Can I change my sources of steps mid-game?
Once you select a source of steps, you must use that source until the end of the game. You can choose a different source when you begin a new game.
What is StepBet's cut of the pot?
StepBet retains 15% of the gross pot to pay Referees, transaction fees, game hosts, and administrative support.
What happens if everybody wins my StepBet game?
Just like DietBet, StepBet has a No Lose Guarantee so that you'll never lose money if you reach your goal. If the StepBet challenge has an unusually high percentage of winners, we will forfeit our portion of the pot to ensure that all winners get their money back. So in the worst-case scenario, you'll end up getting motivated to boost your activity level for free, which is still a win!
What happens during a StepBet if I go to another timezone?
This depends on your phone settings and activity trackers. Some phones and activity trackers will adjust your phone to the local time of your destination. This may cause you to lose or gain hours in a game day. StepBet players should plan accordingly before traveling.
For example, imagine that you travel from San Francisco to New York, losing 3 hours. If your phone or activity tracker automatically adjusts to the local time, you would have 3 fewer hours to complete your goals for the day - and should plan accordingly to make sure you get your steps! If your phone or activity tracker does NOT adjust to the local time, you would still have until midnight San Francisco time to complete your goals.
Is StepBet gambling?
StepBet is not gambling because it is fundamentally based on steps you take, and not an element of chance. In other words, whether or not you win is in your control, not random like gambling.
1. Be kind and stay positive. Community is at the core of what we do. Every WayBet, DietBet, and StepBet game is a welcome and safe place for anyone looking to better themselves. We don’t discriminate based on race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity. Posts and comments that are hostile, derogatory, body-shaming, or discriminatory in any way will not be tolerated.
2. No solicitation or spam. While we encourage posts that are relevant to helping our community members reach their goals, please keep self-promotion and spam out of games such as: soliciting followers on personal profiles, affiliate links, selling products, etc.
3. Stick to the rules. Following the rules keeps things fair for everyone. Every game has a detailed description of how to play and win. Click below to see the rules for game play in each of our apps.
4. Respect everyone’s privacy. Being part of WayBetter requires mutual trust. We give our members full control over what they share with our community, and what stays private. Please do not share another member’s posts or information.
5. Most importantly: Have fun! Having fun, staying positive, and encouraging your fellow community members makes the best experience for everyone!
We may remove your posts or comments or remove you from a game without a refund if you violate these community guidelines. If you see a post that violates these guidelines or you find harmful, you can report it to us by taking a screenshot of the post and sending it to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a mention of the specific game.
Official StepBet Member May Sweepstakes Rules
1. OFFICIAL RULES NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. MAKING A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. The StepBet Member May Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is sponsored by StepBet, a WayBetter company , having an address of www.waybetter.com/stepbet.
2. ELIGIBILITY Subject to these Official Rules, the Sweepstakes is open only to permanent legal residents of the US and Canada who are at least 18 years old as of the date of entry. Employees of Sponsor, StepBet, and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and advertising and promotion agencies and any other entity involved in the development or administration of this Sweepstakes, and their immediate family members or household members are not eligible to participate in or win the Sweepstakes. THE SWEEPSTAKES IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW OR WHERE BONDING, REGISTRATION, OR OTHER REQUIREMENTS WOULD BE REQUIRED BUT HAVE NOT BEEN MET, OR WHERE THE METHODS OF ENTRY SET FORTH BELOW WOULD BE DEEMED CONSIDERATION. ALL APPLICABLE FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL LAWS APPLY.
3. ENTRY PERIOD The Member May Sweepstakes begins on May 1, 2022 and ends on June 01, 2022, 11:59 PM PT (“Entry Period”).
4. HOW TO ENTER No purchase or payment is necessary to participate in the Sweepstakes. During the Entry Period, enter the Sweepstakes through joining StepBet Membership. Existing StepBet Members are already eligible to win. You may only submit one entry per week. Alternatively, you may use the Alternative Method of Entry below.
Sponsor expressly reserves the right to disqualify any entries that it believes in good faith are generated by automated means or scripts. Entries generated by script, macro or other automated means are void. Alternative Method of Entry (“AMOE”):
You may also enter the Sweepstakes by mail as follows. On a plain 3” x 5” index card, legibly handprint or type your first name, last name, date of birth, complete address, city, state, zip code, home phone number (including area code), and email address (if any) and mail your completed 3” x 5” card to The Member May Sweepstakes: 4023 Kennett Pike Suite 500 Wilmington, DE 19807. To be considered eligible in the Member May Sweepstakes, AMOE entries must be received no later than each Friday at 11:59 PM PST during the month of May, 2022. Each AMOE card received will be considered as one (1) entry for that entrant. Regardless of the method used to enter this Sweepstakes, the maximum number of entries allowed during the Entry Period is one per entrant per week.
5. PRIZES The combined weekly prizes have an estimated retail value of $5000.00 broken down by week as follows:
May 1 - 7 $250 May 8 - 14 $500 May 15 - 21 $750 May 22 - 27 $1500 May 28 - June 02 $2000
Decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding with respect to all matters related to the Sweepstakes. In no event shall the Sponsor be obligated to award any prizes other than the Prizes specified in these Official Rules. The Prizes are non-transferable and no substitutions (including, without limitation, for cash) are permitted, except that Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater monetary value for any Prize if such Prize should become unavailable for any reason. Winners shall be responsible and liable for all federal, state and local taxes on the value of the Prizes, and any related shipping and handling charges. To receive a complete list of winners or a copy of the Official Rules, within six months after the end of the Entry Period, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to Sweepstakes, 4023 Kennett Pike Suite 500 Wilmington, DE 19807.
Please allow 1-3 weeks for delivery of Prizes. StepBet shall be solely responsible for Prize fulfillment.
6. PRIZE SELECTION The winning entry for the Prize will be chosen at random from all eligible entries during the Entry Period on a weekly basis. The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the potential winner, the potential winner will be deemed to be the person in whose name the email or StepBet account is registered.
The Sweepstakes will be conducted under the supervision of the Sponsor. The decisions of the Sponsor are final and binding in all matters relating to these Sweepstakes. Winners will be notified by email; provided, however, that Sponsor reserves the right to determine an alternate method of notification. Winners must claim their Prize within 180 days after the date of notification of such Prize. A Sweepstakes winner's failure to respond to the Prize notification within the specified 180 days will be considered such Sweepstakes winner's forfeiture of the prize and an alternate winner may be selected from the pool of eligible entries. If an entrant is found to be ineligible, an alternate winner may also be selected from the pool of eligible entries.
7. GENERAL CONDITIONS AND RELEASES By entering the Sweepstakes or accepting a Prize, you agree to conform to all federal, state and local laws and regulations. When applicable, the winner may be required to execute and return (and winning may be conditioned upon the winner executing and returning) to Sponsor, within ten (10) business days, an Affidavit of Eligibility and a Liability and Publicity Release drafted by Sponsor to be eligible for the Prize or an alternate winner will be selected. Winners may be required in Sponsor’s sole discretion to complete relevant tax forms as a condition to the delivery of the applicable prize. Winners may also be required to furnish proof of identity, address and birth date in order to receive a Prize. Unless prohibited by applicable law, your acceptance of a Prize constitutes your permission to use your name, photograph, likeness, voice, address (city and state) and testimonials in all media, in perpetuity, in any manner Sponsor deems appropriate for publicity purposes without any compensation to such entrant or any review or approval rights, notifications, or permissions; and constitutes your consent to disclose your personally identifiable information to third parties (including, without limitation, placing the winner’s name on a winner’s list).
An entrant or winner may be disqualified from the Sweepstakes if he or she fails to comply with each provision of these Official Rules, as determined in the sole discretion of the Sponsor. Participation in the Sweepstakes is at entrant’s own risk. Sponsor shall not be liable for: (1) failed, returned or misdirected notifications based on inaccurate information provided by the winner in connection with an entry; (2) entries and responses to winner notifications which are lost, late, incomplete, illegible, unintelligible, postage-due, misdirected, damaged or otherwise not received by the intended recipient in whole or in part or for computer or technical error of any kind; (3) any electronic miscommunications or failures, technical hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, or failed incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit an entrant's ability to participate in the Sweepstakes; (4) any technical malfunctions of the telephone network, computer on-line system, computer equipment, software, program malfunctions or other failures, delayed computer transactions or network connections that are human, mechanical or technical in nature, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to entrant's or any other person's computer or mobile device related to or resulting from downloading the App or otherwise in connection with this Sweepstakes; or (5) any warranty with respect to any Prize or any component thereof. THE PRIZES ARE AWARDED “AS IS” AND SPONSOR DOES NOT MAKE ANY, AND HEREBY DISCLAIMS ANY AND ALL, REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND REGARDING THE PRIZES. NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING ELSE HEREIN OR OTHERWISE, SPONSOR AND/OR ITS VENDORS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE OR OBLIGATED WITH RESPECT TO ANY SUBJECT MATTER OF THIS AGREEMENT OR UNDER CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHER LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY FOR (A) ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, LOSS OF REVENUE, GOODWILL, OR ANTICIPATED PROFITS), (B) DATA LOSS OR COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES, AND/OR (C) ANY MATTER BEYOND SUCH PARTIES’ REASONABLE CONTROL.
By entering the Sweepstakes, you agree to and hereby do release and hold harmless Sponsor, StepBet and their respective parents, subsidiaries and affiliated entities, directors, officers, employees, attorneys, agents, and representatives from any damage, injury, death, loss, claim, action, demand, or other liability (collectively, “Claims”) that may arise from your acceptance, possession and/or use of any Prize or your participation in this Sweepstakes, or from any misuse or malfunction of any Prize awarded, regardless of whether such Claims, or knowledge of the facts constituting such Claims, exist at the time of entry or arise at any time thereafter. Any person attempting to defraud or in any way tamper with this Sweepstakes may be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Sponsor reserves the right to modify these Official Rules in any way or at any time. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend these Sweepstakes should viruses, bugs or other causes beyond their control corrupt the administration, security or proper operation of the Sweepstakes. In the event of cancellation or suspension, Sponsor shall promptly post a notice on Sponsor’s website to such effect. These Sweepstakes shall be governed by New York law, without regard to conflicts of laws provisions. By participating in this Sweepstakes, you agree that any dispute or litigation arising from or relating to this Sweepstakes shall be determined by binding arbitration only in San Francisco, California, by and under the Streamlined Arbitration Rules and Procedures of JAMS, and judgment on the award rendered by the arbitrator(s) may be entered in any court having jurisdiction thereof. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Sponsor may seek equitable relief in any court of competent jurisdiction. If any provision of these rules is held to be illegal or unenforceable, such provision shall be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that these rules otherwise remain in full force and effect and enforceable.